In fact, part of the Deering area was named Stevens Plains, for the painted tinware business that was headed up by Zachariah Brackett Stevens (1778-1856), who is widely believed to be the namesake of Stevens Avenue and Stevens Plains.
|ZACHARIAH BARTLETT STEVENS|
|EXAMPLE OF TINWARE FROM STEVENS SHOP|
Tinsmith and Blacksmith Zachariah Stevens was the son of Isaac Sawyer and Sarah (Brackett) Stevens. He was trained as a blacksmith by his father, and later branched out into tinsmithing. He built his shop at Stevens Plains in the early 1800s and sent out peddlers with his tinware and other necessities for the public and also built a general store at the Plains which carried the bartered goods for the tinware. Much of his tinware was decorated by Sally Brisco (wife of one of his tin sellers), her nieces (the Francis sisters) and some of his own children and relatives.
Zachariah's sons Alfred and Samuel B., were also tinsmiths who worked in the factory.
Zachariah's father Isaac (1748-1820) was a Revolutionary War veteran, born to Isaac Sr. (1719-1804) of Andover Massachusetts, an original settlor of old Falmouth.
Many of the Stevens Family are buried at Bailey Cemetery and Pine Grove Cemetery in Portland.
|HOME OF ISAAC STEVENS, SR.|
|GRAVE OF ISAAC STEVENS, JR.|
|GRAVE OF ZACHARIAH STEVENS AND FAMILY|
PINE GROVE CEMETERY